Friday, July 10, 2015

Red Queen

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


First things first, can we appreciate this cover? Oh man, it's so gorgeous and I'd be a total liar if I said that this cover wasn't part of the reason I decided that I needed it. That being said, I finally got time to read it and yup, glad I did.
Warning, this may very well be the laziest book review I've ever done. No fault to the book, I'm just hella lazy today. 




Synopsis:

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.



To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.




Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre ofthose she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.




But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?



Personal Opinion:

I like a lot of the things about this book, but the things that I like the most, naturally, are the ones that will be the hardest to put in to words.

Ah, how to put it...

I love how rawly this book states things that even in our world we know to be true. Equality is an actual struggle and people strive for it every single day. We also get closer to it every day because we don't stop fighting. 
While I was reading this book, marriage equality became law in the U.S.
(we're far from done in our fight for equality though, so don't stop fighting.)

Anyway, the book.

Wonderfully written, wonderful characters, wonderful theme, WONDERFUL COVER.

Is there anything that this book doesn't have?

I want to say cultural diversity, people of color, however,based on the theme of the book, I'm willing to bet that they'll be in the next one (Glass Sword).

That being said, I enjoyed the brutal reality. If you've been reading my reviews for a while you know that I love raw, brutal books. It's the fluffy ones that I most painful for me for some reason.

I remember updating my status just before I choose Red Queen after reading All The Bright Places, I believe I said something like, "Okay, I'm ready for a nicer book with blood and guts. Bonus if there's beheading."

Red Queen did not disappoint~ In fact, i could help but laugh to myself when there was beheading, just because of that status. For some reason, rolling heads just make a book for me.
Don't judge.

And then that plot twist. DAT PLOT TWIST DOE.
Yes. This book is A+. I don't want to be that person that spoils a lot so I don't want to do too many deals but,
- Strong female protag? Check.
- Amazing world building? Check.
- Lines that hit you in the face like whoa and make you set the book down? Check.

PLUS~

I hear it's already been optioned for a movie. 10/10 would go see.
I will also rage if they mess it up too but you know, that just comes with the bookworm thing.

Favorite Quotes:



"Revolution needs a spark,” I murmur, repeating what Julian would say in our lessons. “And even sparks burn."  

 Words can lie.

Overall Rating:

5/5


I can't wait for the next book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment