Friday, August 1, 2014

The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan


I finally finished The Son of Neptune and got around to reviewing it!
~Slight spoilers~


Synopsis:
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.


Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his name. His brain fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa told him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Somehow Percy manages to make it to a camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he has to keep killing monsters along the way. But the camp doesn't ring any bells with him. The only thing he can recall from his past is another name: Annabeth 

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obedient daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem — when the Voice took over her mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for an evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Now because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk. Hazel wished she could ride away from it all on the stallion that appears in her dreams. 

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery — although not good enough to win camp war games. His bulky physique makes him feel like an ox, especially in front of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely — enough to share the secret he holds close to his heart. 
(Source: Goodreads)



Personal Opinion: 

I am not sure why this one took me so long to read! It's not like I didn't enjoy the book or anything like that, it just for some reason or another dragged for me. I, once again, enjoy the characters, but I don't think I enjoyed them quite as much as I did the ones in the last book. I am a Leo Valdez lover. 

I hope in the next books we get a bit more detail about some more of the characters at Camp Jupiter. Octavian has me worried. Perhaps that is exactly what Mr. Sassipants Riordan was hoping for. 

One of my favorite parts of this book was when Mars was talking about the duty of war and why war is sometimes a necessary evil. It made me have feelings that I hate because every single word Mars said was true. I also like Mars much better than Ares. He's calmer in his Roman form. It is very soldier like and rather than rushing in to a fight like Ares would, Mars seems like the one who would make tactical decisions before rushing in to a battle. Which is a very Roman trait. Sassipants Riordan really did his research and it makes me happy.

Favorite Quote: 
Hahaha Still laughing about this one.


“They all ordered massive plates of eggs, pancakes, and reindeer sausage, though Frank looked a little worried about the reindeer. "You think it's okay that we're eating Rudolph?


"Dude," Percy said, "I could eat Prancer and Blitzen, too. I'm hungry.” 

Overall Rating:

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment