Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Welcome to the Future

This is just a little something I wanted to share. 
As many of you know, I have been working on my own writing projects as I slowly whittle my way through my ever expanding TBR. The project that I'm working on goes a little bit like this:



Daniel Burke is just a teenager from the year 2009 trying to get a job so he can save up to buy his own car, but after being accused of identity theft, his entire life is turned upside down when two men show up in his house to kill him on the same night. One of them claims to be a man from the future and tries to convince Daniel that he is the cause of much future death and destruction. The other is simply out for blood.

Rico Reyes Montero is leading a rebellion in 2019 after his family and many of the members of his community were slaughtered by government commands. When a mysterious woman claiming to be from the future shows up and gives him the means to build a time machine he finds himself face to face with Daniel Burke, but not the Daniel Burke he is looking for.

In order to save Daniel's life, Rico brings Daniel ten years in to the future to where the Legion is preparing to strike down a man who goes by the name Daniel Burke in order to take their government back, but when the time machine gets destroyed, Rico and Daniel are forced to wait until it is fixed, and despite the fact that they are from different times the two find solace in each others company.  


Through the course of the story, Daniel nearly dies and Rico vows that he will do everything he can to prevent that from happening ever again.

I wanted to share a piece I wrote featuring these characters that was inspired by this picture: 


I even have a very specific song, which is sung by a very talented guy, you can find ShyBoy on Twitter ----> HERE
and on Youtube ----> HERE
I adore him so much. I've been listening to his music for years and I'll never get tired of it, and I had a very reasonable fangirl fit when he followed me on Twitter.

The song I feature in this piece is called Welcome to the Future. 



I suggest starting the song just before you start reading. 
Enjoy~
The mellow piano melody floated through the air, permeated with a soft beat. Rico held his hand out as a man sang,

 “Welcome to the future...” 


How fitting. 


Daniel looked up at him and couldn't help but smile as he reached up to take the outstretched hand. Rico pulled him close and swayed to the music, which spoke of the future and endings. It made Daniel's heart hurt when he thought about it. He never realized before that moment how much he truly had enjoyed staying with Rico for all this time. The thought of it being over and having to go home left him feeling cold, so he pushed the thoughts away and focused on the now, where he was warm and safe in Rico's arms. Daniel smiled to himself as he noticed that Rico was humming along with the music.

“You know this song..?” Daniel asked quietly, swaying to the beat. It was such a melancholy song. Rico nodded softly.

“It almost feels like it was written for us... Doesn't it?” He pulled back to look into Daniel's eyes and whispered a line from the song. “'Cause if this is the end, I'll stay to the very last minute, but I can't defend, a world without you living in it...” The song went on but Rico's head slumped against Daniel's shoulder and Daniel brought his arms up so he was gripping Rico's shirt to hold him close. Too moved to be able to reply, Daniel simply kissed Rico's cheek. It did feel like the song was written for them. Around them the world disappeared as the two held to each other, swaying, lost in the music and drowning in each other. Daniel didn't want the moment to end.
“ 'Cause this is the end, I hope you enjoyed every minute...' ” Rico whispered with the song. Daniel's eyes burned and he could feel Rico's breath on his neck. The newly healed scar on his throat tingled as tightness closed it up. This felt an awful lot like a goodbye.
   “Rico, what are you planning?” Daniel asked, as worry caused his stomach to tie itself in knots. 
   “I'm going alone. I won't have you risking your life for this.” Rico murmured heavily, kissing the scar on his throat. “You're too important to me, and I can't stand the idea of nearly losing you again or for good this time.”

“Welcome to the future. That unfamiliar fate... Trying not to hurt now, but to heal...”

No comments:

Post a Comment