Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Madness

Madness by Jas T. Ward


We at Confessions of a Bookworm were asked to read and review Madness the first book in the Shadow-Keepers series. How could I say no? Look at that gorgeous cover!



Synopsis: 

A Darkly Sweet, Twisted Retelling of The Beauty and the Beast.  

A night could change everything. 
Consume a cold heart in heat… 
Open a heart that has been closed… 
Intertwine two lives for a lifetime…and beyond. 

The only thing Reno Sundown has ever known is pain. How to take it and how to use it. He was created that way and once his purpose was done, he was locked away. Never had he known good, laughter, love until he met her. 

Emma Devenmore has always focused on one thing, family. The eldest of her sisters, she has made life centered on protection. Protecting her family and doing her job of protecting others. A love story was never in her plans, until she met him. 

By chance, their paths cross and both were forever changed. A Beauty left yearning for a Beast, who had opened her up to something she had never dreamed of. 

A Beast left wanting for a Beauty, who had unlocked emotions he never knew possible, and never was supposed to know existed. 

Once paths are crossed, can they ever be uncrossed? Once they are crossed, are they destined to grow together? Or can they only be consumed by complete Madness?





Personal Opinion:

All in all, I did enjoy this book. I enjoyed the plot a lot and I loved the way mythology of all sorts was incorporated in with the characters. On top of that fact, the characters are amazing. You will not find a single bland character in this book. From Reno who has as many layers as he does secrets to Bounce, the mysterious neutral god whose eyes reflect his mood, every single character has their own little subplot that while being there doesn't interfere with the story that is being told, which is Reno's.
A note I want to add which I have no idea where to place is that I love that the goddess, Yin Yang, personifying Balance is slightly psychotic, because face it there is a thin line between organization and chaos. 
This story has so many delightful ups and downs, there was just one thing I wish there was less of, and that is the sex. However that is a matter of my own personal opinion. I also know, that Jas T. Ward herself doesn't really enjoy writing or reading sex scenes (Based on this post) So I have to hand it to her that despite the fact that she doesn't enjoy reading or writing them that they were pretty well written. I get more turned on by reading about Reno letting Sundown take over during an epic gun fight than I do by reading about actual sex, but the scenes didn't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth the way the snippet of 50 shades did. That's just me though, you know.. opinions and all that. 
Aside from that, the depth of the story and the emotions that I went through while reading left me craving the next book, especially given that teaser at the end. 
I look very much forward to Lust to find out what becomes of these characters I've come to love. 


Favorite Quotes:

Snickering and giggling while you dispatched the baddies was not listed in bad-ass characteristics.

 Love had the power to throw just about anything and everything out of balance. To send something that made perfect sense into utter chaos with just the hint of love to cause it.

 We here. We are they, you is us. We are here. Hi! We are glad we are us with they.


Overall Rating: 


 
4/5






No comments:

Post a Comment